contact_mailKarl A. Berg, Jr.
Mr. Berg practices in the areas of construction law and construction and commercial litigation. His clients include public and private property owners, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, architects and engineers. Mr. Berg is experienced in reviewing, negotiating and drafting construction contracts and related agreements and in litigating and arbitrating disputes that arise in connection with them, including claims based on construction defects, delay, non-payment and changes, and claims against performance and payment bonds.
A 1986 graduate of the University of Michigan, Mr. Berg received his law degree magna cum laude from Thomas M. Cooley Law School, where he was a managing editor of the Law Review. An accomplished writer and speaker, he is the author of numerous articles on construction law matters, including K. Berg, Clairvoyance Required: The Architect’s Liability for Construction Cost Estimates, 26 The Colorado Lawyer 37 (April 1997). He is Colorado’s contributing author to State-by-State Guide to Architect, Engineer, and Contractor Licensing (S. Walker, R. Holderness & S. Butler ed. 1999), and Colorado's co-author to State-by-State Analysis of Legal Issues Affecting Architects, Engineers, Contractors and Owners (M. Dodd ed. 2002). He authored chapters concerning licensing and construction disputes for The Practitioner’s Guide to Colorado Construction Law (R. Benson ed. 1999).
Mr. Berg is a member of the Board of Directors of Lutheran Family Services Rocky Mountains, and a member of the Board of Directors of the Colorado Springs Housing & Building Association. In 2003 he was honored by the Colorado Springs Business Journal as one of Forty Achievers Under 40. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Colorado Bar Association, and the El Paso County Bar Association.
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 1991
- Colorado, 1990
- J.D., magna cum laude, Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 1990
- Managing Editor, Law Review
- B.A., University of Michigan, 1986
- Colorado Bar Association
- El Paso County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- "Guide to Architect, Engineer, and Contractor Licensing," S. Walker, R. Holderness & S. Butler, ed. 1999, contributing author
- State by State Analysis of Legal Issues Affecting Architects, Engineers, Contractors and Owners (M. Dodd ed. 2002)
- "Clairvoyance Required: The Architect's Liability for Construction Cost Estimates," 26 The Colorado Lawyer 37, April 1997
- “Indemnification – Let the Punishment Fit the Crime," On the Level with HBA, a supplement to The Colorado Springs Business Journal, September 2007
- "Caveat Builder: Common Interest Community Disclosures," On the Level with HBA, a supplement to The Colorado Springs Business Journal, September 2006
- Board of Directors, Colorado Springs Housing & Building Association
- Board of Directors, Lutheran Family Services Rocky Mountains